Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ministry equals people....people are messy.

Something I need to remind myself about continually is that "ministry equals people, and people are messy". Now I don't mean that in a rude way....it's just that it's true that we all come with baggage. Yes, to the general public we all act like everything in our life is hunky-dorey....but in reality, we have so much going on inside our heads and hearts and in our personal lives: "how in the world am I going to pay the electric bill? I shouldn't have treated that person like that just now...just because I'm having a bad day. I can't believe I've gained 5 pounds since Christmas...I really need to work out. I can't stand the way she seems to get favored by people, just because she's pretty, skinny and obviously has money. I've got to have that clunking sound checked in my car....but I know how expensive it's going to be. I really dislike my neighbors...they're so nosey. " Ya-da-ya-da-ya-da... This list could go on and on forever.

Although I am not leading a ministry at the moment, I find that life itself is one large ministry. I am ashamed at how I handle so many circumstances in my life - not necessarily outward in all cases....but inwardly, I have found myself to be more hard-hearted and cold. Some days I wonder, "where is this mercy that I'm gifted with?" I am ashamed at how I think at times.

I will take out your stony hearts of sin and give you new hearts of love.
-Ezekiel 36:26 TLB

I have a really bad habit. If someone does me wrong....well, I lash out at them by talking bad about them....letting others know how horrible they were to me...I even go as far as doing everything I can to convince others to feel animosity towards them. Problem with that is, that when things are made right with the person who wronged me, how I do I clean up the mess that I created? How do I tell everyone (plus everyone they've probably told) that I was wrong to have judged too quickly and too harshly?

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
-Luke 16:13

I am thankful that as embarrassing as that is to admit that, I am being convicted of it. I am thankful that I feel ashamed of acting that way......that means that I know the purity of God's love and Word. If I didn't know that, then I wouldn't know right from wrong. I am thankful that I am able to share this with the Lord and tell Him that I am sorry, and ask Him for forgiveness.....and I know He will not show the same attitude that I show towards others. Lord, thank You for being You!

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
-Psalm 51:10

Lord, thank you for forgiving me for all of my wrong-doings, and wrong thinking, and all of my harsh judgements and attitudes towards others. Please give me a new heart. Please renew a right spirit within me. Please wipe my slate clean and let me start all over again. Help me when I am feeling like I need to attack someone in some way, when they hurt or wrong me. Please help me see them through Yours eyes Father. Please help me be a better minister of Your love and Your Word.....to everyone around me....always and in all situations.

Amen.


No comments: